Sheffield Women's Forum
The aim of the group shall be to promote the interests, equality and well-being of all women in the city of Sheffield regardless of age, class, disability, race, sexuality, political and religious persuasion and in particular to relieve poverty, advance education and provide facilities for recreation and other leisure-time occupation.
WHY HAVE A WOMEN'S FORUM?
Some women felt that women's issues, interests and concerns have not been very visible in recent developments in the city, particularly in relation to regeneration and new funding initiatives.
As an effective women's forum the SWF can promote women's issues and interests in the city. On its own and with other networks it can have a stronger influence on the decision making processes that effect Sheffield women's lives.
BACKGROUND TO THE FORUM
In response to a meeting in April 1999 and a widely circulated questionnaire it was decided to set up a forum for women in the city.
A working group developed a structure, drew up a constitution and priorities for action which were adopted at the Sheffield Women's Forum Launch Event on 30th September 1999.
WHO IS THE WOMEN'S FORUM FOR?
Any women living or working in Sheffield, who support the aims of the SWF. Women involved up to now have included volunteers and paid staff from voluntary and community groups, women's organisations, students, staff from statutory organisations and interested individuals.
DEVELOPMENTS SINCE THE LAUNCH
· Monthly meetings, as well as sub groups
· Established an extensive mailing list of wide ranging organisations and interested individuals
· Organised 5 Forum Conferences/ Events
o Women, New Technology and the Information Society
o Women's Vision Women's Version: Objective 1 Conference
o Women's Bodies Women's Choices
o Launch of the South Yorkshire Women’s Development Trust
o Women Making A Difference: what is our vision for Burngreave?
· Regular representation at Programming Monitoring Committee, SRB Strategic Advice Committee and Objective 1 Gender Advisory Group
· Consultation on some city-side planning and environmental issues
· Production of the Forum Leaflet and an editorial column in Women's Vision bi monthly newsletter
· Sharing information, networking and developing policies in relation to gender issues including women and regeneration
· Initiating and developing partnerships resulting in added value such as sharing facilities, resources and opportunities
The priority for the future is to build on and maintain our successful work by making the SWF more inclusive, so that the issues it works on are genuinely more accessible to, and better informed by, women working in local communities.
Sheffield Women's Forum
5 Brown St
Sheffield, S1 2BS
Tel / Fax - 0114 249 1633
date created:22/4/2003 15:01:59
last updated:22/12/2003 13:26:35