Sierra Leone Forum
The Sierra Leone Women's Forum works to improve the quality of lives of Sierra Leonean women and their children, particularly refugees and asylum seekers.
SLWF was formed in 1997 by a group of concerned women in direct response to the plight of women fleeing the 10-year brutal rebel war in Sierra Leone.
Our mission is to:
improve the quality of lives of Sierra Leonean women and their families through the
· the provision of information and advice on immigration and welfare
· advancement of education
· protection of health
· promotion of gender and development awareness issues
Our key objectives are to:
· provide quality support to Sierra Leonean women and their families particularly refugees and asylum seekers in the UK through confidential advice drop in sessions, adult learning programmes, research and seminars and social activities
· advocate and raise awareness of the issues affecting Sierra Leonean and their families at local, regional and national policy level in the UK
· promote the welfare of Sierra Leonean people in order to develop the general prosperity of women and their families in the UK and abroad
· promote information sharing around women's issues amongst African women for development.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
Core services provided by SLWF include;
· information and advice in immigration and welfare including drop in sessions in Islington and Colliers Wood
· adult learning and vocational training courses in :
o ESOL and basic skills and computer literacy
o Art and African textile design
o radio production (oral history project)
Community based projects
· Outreach Development - which includes providing information, counselling and interpretation service for women in their communities.
· Befriending Scheme - for elderly Sierra Leone women
· Healthy Eating Cookery Club - for refugee and asylum seekers. The project specially targets housebound elderly women with diabetes and heart disease
· Bra Anansie Project - a development education programme seeking to raise awareness of development issues amongst school children in London from the perspective of Sierra Leonean women.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
· Needs Assessment into the needs of elderly Sierra Leonean refugees in the UK
· Refugee youth integration in Westminster
· Women and mental health
We have held an annual health seminar each year since 1999 on issues ranging from HIV / Aids, stroke and coronary diseases, cancer screening, mental health etc
OUR WORK IN SIERRA LEONE
Our work in Sierra Leone is undertaken alongside our parent organisation, SLWF Freetown.
Since 1997 the areas of our work has included:
· advocacy for women's involvement in politics and community development
· campaign for peace and democracy
· advocacy for access to education for women and children
· used clothing and food project
CONTACTING SIERRA LEONE WOMEN'S FORUM
6th Floor, The Tower
125 High Street, Colliers Wood
London, SW19 2RS
Tel: 020 8543 9436 Fax: 020 8542 0656
The Crypt, St Mary's Magdalene's Church
London N7 8LT
Tel: 020 7700 0540 Fax: 020 7700 0540
date created:22/4/2003 15:29:38
last updated:22/12/2003 13:27:22